Saturday 8 January 2011

Drawing



I've been reading about aesthetics for the past few days whilst trying to keep sane. Also helped out at Southampton City Art Gallery- it was great to see a room transformed throughout the day.

Here is a recent drawing I've done. It's of Jupiter and I was trying to capture the movement and organic quality of it. The original idea was to have something tactile, so emboss the patterns in to the paper, but I could do this with metal/ tin-foil instead to get the required quality.

2 comments:

  1. Don't try too hard to be sane. I kept my sanity together for over a decade by using heroin! Without heroin I'm all over the place. Sometimes I'm probably near-certifiable, others I'm just a bit of a mess. But I can tell you that's infinitely preferable to being on gear!

    Creative people are crazy anyhow. Ever read that book Touched With Fire by Kay Redfield Jamison. It explores in some detail the relationship between depression and bipolar disorder and creativity. There's also said to be a relationship between schizophrenia and creativity. So don't try and be sane. Try and be creative. You're an artist. Create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! The reference about sanity was reading about aesthetics.

    Personally, I don't believe in drug taking to fuel the creative process. I think that creativity is natural anyway and without it, we would all be pretty useless. Inspiration and being open minded to ideas is what fuels my creativity.

    But, I don't want to be a preacher or anything, so do whatever.

    ReplyDelete